SAN DIEGO MARRIAGE LICENSE
San Diego Marriage License Information – San Diego marriage license are issued by each County in the State of California issues Public and Confidential Marriage Licenses however, each County may have different rules on how to obtain and fees. Please check with your local California County Clerk for this information.
Update: A State of California confidential (non-public) marriage license may be issued in any County and used in any County in the State.
As a courtesy, Southern California County Clerk websites are linked below. If your County is not listed, simply search for “County Clerk of (Name of County)” for more information. If you find one of the links below is broken, please let us know to help future Brides and Grooms.
San Bernardino County Clerk and Recorder
Santa Barbara County Clerk and Recorder
Marriage License Information – The information below can be found on the San Diego Country Marriage license website.
MARRIAGE LICENSE INFORMATION
- You must obtain a marriage license prior to having a ceremony.
- A ceremony must take place within 90 days of the license issuance and within the State of California.
- No extensions are authorized.
- If you do not have a ceremony within 90 days, you must purchase a new marriage license.
- After the ceremony, the marriage license must be signed by your officiant and returned to our office for recording, preferably by mail.
- After the license is recorded, you may request and purchase a copy of your marriage certificate.
- Our office only records licenses issued in San Diego County.
- A license issued by our office can be used for a ceremony anywhere in California.
- Licenses are non-refundable.
- Appointments fill up quickly so please plan accordingly.
- Both parties must appear together to their in-person appointment.
- Both parties must present valid, government-issued photo ID.
- Appointments are required. Schedule an appointment for your license and/or ceremony prior to submitting the Marriage License Online Application.
- Complete the Marriage License Online Application (recommended).
- OR fill out the Marriage License Printable Application and bring it to your appointment.
- Both parties must be able to read, speak, and understand English or Spanish.
- Issuing a marriage license in any other language is not permissible by County Clerk staff.
- American Sign Language (ASL) interpretation services are available upon request. Please contact us directly at (619) 237-0502.